This page lists the main differences between Disney's The Black Cauldron and the Chronicles of Prydain series by Lloyd Alexander. This list is not meant to be exhaustive; readers should feel free to add additional differences where appropriate.
Main Story Differences
- The Horned King is the ruler of Prydain, and is the main antagonist of the story rather than Arawn.
- Arawn is a spirit trapped in the Black Cauldron.
- Hen Wen is pursued for her putative power over the Cauldron rather than for her secret knowledge of the Horned King.
- A magic sword, similar to Dyrnwyn, is Taran's prized possession, but is not named as such, and is not black. Taran trades this sword, instead of the Brooch of Adaon, for the Cauldron.
- The Horned King's castle is a major locale, from which the characters must escape and in which the climax occurs, rather than Spiral Castle or Annuvin.
- Instead of Ellidyr sacrificing himself to destroy the Cauldron, Gurgi performs the sacrifice.
- Princess Eilonwy has "dirty blonde" hair rather than "red-gold" hair. Her bauble floats instead of being hand-held.
- Dallben has no beard and is bald.
- Fflewddur Fflam is elderly and portly rather than middle-aged and slender.
- Gurgi is small and resembles a lapdog rather than being large enough to wield a sword and bow.
- Hen Wen is tiny and pink instead of an adult white sow.
- The Gwythaints are small dragons or wyverns rather than eagle-like birds.
- All of the Fair Folk are miniature, moth-winged fairy-people, including Doli.
- Orddu, Orwen, and Orgoch are loud and obnoxious rather than clever and subtle. Orwen is inexplicably attracted to Fflewddur.
- The Cauldron-Born are skeletal warriors rather than fleshed; they appear only briefly near the climax of the film.
- Creeper is an original character to the movie.
- There are no Huntsmen of Annuvin; the Horned King's henchmen are standard, non-magical warriors.
- The following key characters from first two novels do not appear: Coll, Gwydion, Achren, Adaon, King Smoit, Ellidyr, and King Morgant.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.